Get A Sys Admin

sysadmin linux open source centos redhat rhel ubuntu apache mysql amazon ec2 s3 tutorial

Oct 28, 2009

Delete strange name folders in Windows

Problem description:
On one of my drives I have a bunch of strange named folders like "693cdcd055bf1cbcdb45" and so on. When I have tried to delete them I get Access denied or Permission denied, although I have Administrator privileges.Other error I was getting "You need permission from X-XX-XXX (strange user name) to delete the folder".

What I have tried:
Setting off the Read only attribute didn't help.
Safe mode boot, neah.
The mighty command prompt(cmd) and all the wonderfull commands to change file atributes and delete the directory ... no success.
No viruses on the PC cause I just formated the drive and installed a clean copy of Windows 7 + Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

Solution:
This works with Windows 7, I didn't try on Windows XP.
Right click on the offending folder and select Properties.
Go to Security tab.
Press Advanced button.
Go to Owner tab.
Press Edit button.
Select Change owner to Administrators and check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".
Press Apply and confirm with Yes on the pop-up window.
Press all the OK buttons untill you have closed the Properties window.
Right click on the folder and enjoy the DELETE action.

Hope it helps someone to avoid the frustration I have experienced trying to delete that kind of problems.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home